|OOoo!! Let's put a motor on it!!!|
After a quick test...
|on the way to the circus|
I realized I had to have it, so I offered the owner a reasonable $5 and rode off into the sunset.
Getting it home, I immediately realized that the pedals just were not going to work for me. I thought to myself that I recently took a motor and transmission out of... something. And then it hit me, I only had to weld a bracket then I'd be riding my mini bike to all the parties (or more than likely embarrassing myself in front of my neighbors).
I began by clamping the bike to my awesome table and took some parts off.
|pedals are for suckers|
Then I tried to add a MUCH bigger spring by cutting off some parts, this helps to support my excessive body weight.
|Suppose I'll cut off the taped bit|
Next up was cutting and welding a bracket for the motor.
Then making an actual motor mount
|placement is key|
|high precision paper template|
|transfer the template to scrap metal|
|cut, then test fit|
Weld it all together...
|held in place with magnets|
|then with my awesome (terrible) welds|
After a bit more fiddling around to get everything together, including some soldering and other boring stuff, I had a complete (well, all the pieces are there anyway) electric runt bike.
|look how sexy.|
This thing was fun to build, a great way to spend a Friday night at least. With my modifications I was able to reach a whopping top speed of 6 mph, which is completely unimpressive. I will probably upgrade the battery system soon, considering that the bag of Black and Decker batteries is utterly ridiculous. Some PWM digital speed control action and aesthetic consideration is definitely in order. Maybe next Friday, but more likely I won't be working on this until my thesis is finished.
Until next time,