Wednesday, February 27, 2013

3d Printable Motorcycle Parts!

Browsing craigslist can be a lesson in frustration, going through endless pages looking at items you don't want or need, just hoping to find something, anything really, that is worth purchasing.  Recently I had the good fortune of finding what is more or less my dream motorcycle, the Honda CB600F.




Of course, what made this post special was that the bike had been dropped a bit so all the pretty plastic bits of the bike were cracked and scratched up, but mechanically it was quite sound.  For me, this means a cheap price, and the opportunity to customize every piece of my bike without worrying about messing up the design work of a motorcycle in new condition.  This project has afforded me the opportunity to try a few techniques that I've been interested in, such as laser kerf bending and 3d printed investment metal castings.  

One of the first things I did when getting the bike, is take apart the broken headlight.

Cracked plastic housing

Bent and scratched mounting ring

I immediately took the bare headlight and started trying to mount it with laser-cut pieces.

This is a good start, but the light is aimed up, and it doesn't stay straight.

I tried bending the top mount down with laser-kerf, it worked a little better.

While thinking about the headlight project, I decided to get some 3d printed parts started.  First, I made some brackets to mount my blinkers to my forks.

After taking this photo, I realized I really need to paint these.

I also decided at this point that my headlight needed to be mounted from the sides, which is a problem because the headlight itself has mounting tabs on the top and bottom.... what to do? Hmm...

This ought to work!

Yep, that'll fit.  Just need to make mounting brackets.

I am also working on casting some aluminum foot pegs for this machine.  My technique involves 3d printed parts (surprise!) and investment casting.  I need to refine my setup, and I think these foot pegs should be great practice, especially because I won't consider my technique correct until my foot pegs are safe to use.  

The 3d model looks decent.

Test fit of the printed part is promising!

And... Fail.

I just felt like sharing it because I am quickly accumulating a lot of photos, I apologize for having no conclusion at this point.  I will be posting more updates in the coming weeks (hopefully with fewer fails), thanks for reading! 

Blog Archive